Friday, February 13, 2009

Well, I have just about had all the news on the economy and the painful and confusing (to me) stimulus debate and bleary economic reality I can handle. When I need cheering up I often turn to Tom Bodett (yes, the Motel 6 guy). He's intelligent, funny, and helpful at telling the story of our realities in ways that make me smile rather than wince. Anyway, I really enjoyed and recommend his "Red State Blues" story (even thought is is a few years old), especially the line that seemed to explain why at the end of my week, after commuting back and forth soaking up my fix of NPR, I just don't have that spring in my step anymore...

Blue State people, on the other hand, chase their Zoloft down with iced chai while they listen to twelve hours a day of public radio programming which ceaselessly and thoughtfully points out in genteel and condescending tones that we are all pretty much screwed.

Of course, now, even the regular news concurs with that.

No comments: